Monday, April 7, 2014

Story Points Vs Task Hours

Which one should be appropriate for capacity planning? Story Point or Task Hours. That was an interesting question raised by my client Manager when he was trying to get more resources to the team. 

My Answer was ‘Task Hours’. 

Story point in case of ‘capacity planning’ and Task hours if you are resource planning. Here is my justification: Story point is an unit that so specific to that team, organically evolved, normalized within the team. Whereas, the Task hours could be universal. I added, the story point unit signifies the ‘Unit of work, that could be ‘DONE’ by our team, using our technology, for our problems, within our time-box in our company during last few sprints’. 

Should he been planning for the current team I would have told him ‘story point’. But he was asking about the ‘future’ team, which had not yet taken part in determining the team’s story point units. Rather, he should have asked me ‘Which one should be appropriate for resource planning? Story Point or Task Hours’ I gently hinted that to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment